Au Sable Light
Au Sable Light, built in 1874, is one of several lighthouses along the southern shore of Lake Superior erected to help ships navigate and stay away from the shallow shoreline that had caused many shipwrecks. It stands at 87 feet tall from ground level and its light, which is still active, can be seen 13 miles away. Before it had been built, there was an 80 mile gap between the Whitefish Point Lighthouse and the Granite Island Light. Other structures at the station include the keeper's quarters and boathouse. As the light is part of the Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore, National Park Service staff the light during the summer, allowing people to visit.