Clio Logo

Hayes Barton district, named for Sir Walter Raleigh's English home-place, is a district located west of Glenwood Avenue and north of Wade Avenue in Raleigh. Notable landscape architect Earle Sumner Draper designed the district in 1920. Draper took advantage of the area’s lush natural outdoor spaces, creating a natural landscape with plenty of green spaces for the suburban neighborhood. The curving streets match the shape of the land and rolling terrain.


  • Bradshaw House, c. 1950. Located at 847 Holt Drive.
Neo-Classical Revival
  • Williams House, c. late 1930s. Located at 910 Harvey Street.
Norman Revival
  • Aunspaugh House, 
later the First Baptist Church Parsonage, c. 1924.
Located at 1547 Carr Street.
Georgian Revival
  • A map of Hayes Barton's boundaries
  • Wrecked car in front of Hayes Barton Baptist Church in Five Points 

photo from:
Special Collections Section
State Archives of North Carolina
Department of Natural and Cultural Resources
  • White Bridgers House, c. late 1920s. Located at 1525 Carr Street.
Georgian Revival
  • Curved street, Holt Drive.

About half of the houses in the neighborhood were constructed in the mid- to late-1920s when period revival architectural styles were very popular. Howard E. Satterfield, a local contractor, built many of the larger homes that went up during the early days of the neighborhood. The home reveal a varied collection of different styles of architecture including Georgian Revival, Colonial Revival, Tudor Revival, and Dutch Colonial Revival. Types of homes in the area also include Craftsman four-squares, bungalows, and Spanish Eclectic homes. There is also a relatively rare example of Norman Revival—the Williams House, located at 910 Harvey Street and dating back to the late 1930s.

Prior to 1920, Five Points was little more than the junction of dirt roads and the streetcar line on Glenwood Avenue. These roads linked the area's farms and mills, while the streetcar line, which had been installed in 1912, served Bloomsbury Amusement Park to the north. Consequently, the earliest development followed the streetcar and other transportation lines. Although the first home was begun in April of 1920, construction began to pick up speed during the summer of 1921. The News and Observer reported in July of 1921 that ten new homes were under construction in Hayes Barton. The paper hoped that this activity denoted "the beginning of the end of the building stagnation which began during the war."

The neighborhood saw many changes during the 1920s due to its rapid growth. This included the building of commercial businesses, such as grocery stores, and the establishment of the Tudor Revival Myrtle Underwood School. The post-war period saw another period of booming development. By the 1950s, the area was popular enough to sustain a second shopping center. Even as many of the home original to the mid-twentieth century have been torn down and rebuilt, the neighborhood remains a popular and picturesque area, and efforts continue to preserve and revitalize the original period homes that remain.

"Hays Barton Historic District," Raleigh Historic Development Commission, http://rhdc.org/hayes-barton-historic-district

"Hays Barton Historic District," Living Spaces, http://www.livingplaces.com/NC/Wake_County/Raleigh_City/Hayes_Barton_Historic_District.html 

"Hays Barton Historic District Map," Raleigh Historic Development Commission, http://rhdc.org/sites/default/files/images/NRHD_HayesBarton.png 

"Hayes Barton Historic District Registration Form," National Register of Historic Places, National Park Service, accessed March 12, 2017, http://rhdc.org/sites/default/files/Hayes%20Barton%20NRHD.pdf