This stately Victorian home was built by English-born William Kirkman in 1880. He was a prosperous businessman in the cattle trade and he and his wife Isabella were active members in their community. The house, which is listed on the National Register of Historic Places (1974), has operated as a museum since 1981 after several years of restoration. Many family belongings can be found in the house. The museum also offers changing exhibits about local history and culture.
Kirkman descendants lived in the house until around 1931. The house was converted to apartments and eventually fell into disrepair. Luckily, local residents came together to save the house from demolition, leading to its restoration.