Museum of the Artillery Company of Newport
Backstory and Context
The Newport Artillery Company of Newport, Rhode Island was chartered in 1741 by the Rhode Island General Assembly during the reign of King George II. It is the oldest military unit in the United States operating under its original charter. The Company has served in wars ranging from the French and Indian War to the First World War.
The Newport Artillery's armory was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1972. The stone and brick armory building was constructed in 1835 in the Greek Revival style. The work was overseen by master stonemason Alexander McGregor who came to the United States from Scotland in 1825 to construct Fort Adams. In 1875, the armory was extended 50 feet west. It was heavily damaged by a fire in 1906. During its reconstruction in the same year, the second story was added.
The armory houses a museum which features an extensive collection of military uniforms from over 50 different nations, the uniforms of many prominent individuals, and several artillery pieces including four bronze cannons cast for the state of Rhode Island by Paul Revere in 1798.