Christ Church & Carriage House
Backstory and Context
Previously located along the railroad tracks, the Church endured severe structural damage as a result of its proximity to railroad tracks. In an effort to save the structure at the advice of engineers, the City of Hapeville, the Hapeville Association of Tourism & Trade and the Hapeville Historical Society, moved the structure in 1986. Restoration work was authenticated using 1890s photographs of the interior and exterior of the Church.
The restored Church was officially opened in 1990 and was the site for City and community events. In 2010, with increased emphasis on downtown historic locations as venues for cultural events, Historic Christ Church moved again. Its present location is that of the historical (1899-1969) site of the farm that comprised the Georgia Baptist Children’s Home.
The Historic Christ Church Building & Carriage House is available for exhibits, conventions, trade shows, conferences, as well as community and private events. The Carriage House features a private room, full kitchen, courtyard and a small reception/gathering area.