Fort Hawkins Archaeological Park
Fort Hawkins was built from 1806 to 1810 and served both as a trading post and military command post until 1824. The site is now the location of a recreated fort and educational complex as well as an active archaeological site owing to artifacts that reveal information about the lives of American Indians and European Americans in the early 19th century.
Backstory and Context
Fort Hawkins found purpose as it served U.S. regulars and Georgia militia forces with shelter during the War of 1812 and Creek War of 1813-1814 2. The fort was also significant as it was a logistical base for operations against British and Red Stick Creeks during these wars. As the wars ended focus quickly transferred to other forts, yet Fort Hawkins continued to serve as a supply depot 2. Over time supplies of the fort ran out and inhibitors disappeared. Though even before the now faded fort was established the location still proved to be significant as over 40,000 artifacts have been discovered through excavations.
Due to Fort Hawkins the town Macon, Georgia had developed. With the town the fort became of great significance eventually being added to the U.S National Register of Historic places in 1977 2. Before being established and becoming a U.S. landmark the original fort had been demolished. Though a replication was built which stands in Fort Hawkins Archaeological Park today.