Located in downtown Pensacola, historic Seville Square dates back to the 1700s. In 1732, it was the location of a Spanish outpost called San Miguel. Today the park is a frequent spot for festivals and concerts to be held. It is a favorite recreational spot for many locals.
Seville Square is the location of one of the area's early settlements, Fort San
Miguel.The grounds were used for parades. In 1764,
during the British occupation of West Florida, surveyor Elias Durnford
designated it as a public square. Today, many of these Spanish names are still in
use. In 1813, Seville Square was designated by the Spanish as a public plaza. Today, many of these Spanish names are still in
use.Today, many of these Spanish names are still in
use. Rich in history, 19th century and victorian homes faces the square.In the 1960s, the square became the focal point of a local historic preservation movement, as it had suffered from neglect. The deteriorating homes were
restored and many were then set up as offices, shops, restaurants, and
museums. The Clara Barkley Dorr House is one of the historical buildings that overlook the square. It was built in 1871, and was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1974. Another historic building is the Old Christ Church. It was built in 1832 and served the area's influential Episcopal congregation. It is also listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Today this quaint square houses a gazebo in the center and is a local favorite spot for yearly festivals and celebrations. Every week, the square now hosts a concert event called Evenings in Historical Olde Seville Square. During the holiday season, the square is beautifully lit and decorated.