The Buck Memorial Library is one of more architecturally striking buildings in Maine. It was built in 1887 and designed in the Gothic Revival style by famed architect Geoge A. Clough, who maintained his practice in Boston before returning to his native Maine in the 1890s. A library association was formed in 1806 and it operated a private subscription service in a small building near main street. Over time, this space proved inadequate and the new library was built to accommodate the growing book collection. Local merchant and prominent citizen Richard Buck provided the funds to build it. The library is still open today and is currently raising funds for restoration.