The Garland Farm was the last home of Beatrix Farrand (1872-1959), one of the country's best landscape architects of the first half of the 20th century. The historic property consists of the main house, a greenhouse, barn, gift shop and woods and fields. The property is owned and managed by the Beatrix Farrand Society, which is dedicated to promoting landscape architecture and horticulture as well as Beatrix's life and work. The main house contains a library which houses a special collections and archives.
The Garland Farm
Backstory and Context
Beatrix moved to the house in 1955, four years before she passed away. The house itself was built around 1800 and owned by her longtime friends Amy and Lewis Garland. Lewis was her property manager at her previous home, Reef Point, which she had torn down. She tried to turn that property into an education center but that did not work out. She added an apartment and greenhouse to the Garland home.
http://www.beatrixfarrandsociety.org/about-us http://www.beatrixfarrandsociety.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/history-gf.pdf http://focus.nps.gov/pdfhost/docs/NRHP/Text/05001174.pdf