North Side High School Field
Backstory and Context
Opened in 1927, North Side High School has been an institution of education that has promoted diversity and higher learning. Designed by Charles R. Weatherhogg, the high school’s grounds also house most of their athletic complexes. The Fort Wayne Pistons, a team from the Basketball Association of America (a precursor of the National Basketball Association) was housed in their gym from 1948 to 1952.
The football field, currently home to the North Side Redskins football team, housed the Fort Wayne Daisies for their 1945 season. Moving from Minneapolis, where they were the Millerettes in 1944, to Fort Wayne, the Daisies called North Side home for their first year of play. They would move to Memorial Park in 1946, where they would play until the League folded in 1954.