This historic building is where the State of New York was formally established in 1777. It was originally built by Dutch immigrant Wessel Wesselse Ten Broeck sometime after 1659 (the exact date is not clear). Broeck arrived from Westphalia, what is now modern Germany. The original foundation of house still exists but the building has been modified significantly during the 17th through 20th centuries. The house features furniture and other items that represent how Dutch immigrants lived in the 18th century. An adjacent building was constructed in 1927 to accommodate the growing museum collection. This building houses the paintings, drawings other works of John Vanderlyn (1775-1852), the artist who painted the Landing of Columbus on the ceiling of the U.S. Capitol Rotunda. The house was placed on that National Register of Historic Places in 1971. The site also features the Loughran House, which was built in 1873.
Shortly after the delegates officially established New York in September 1777, the British arrived and burned the town to the grounds. Luckily, the delegates escaped. For a short time beginning in 1827, the house was used as a girl's school. It became a private residence again until 1887, when the State of New York acquired the property.