Harold Charles Price built his fortune in Bartlesville in the 1920s after creating an industrial welding company and developing several new techniques that allowed his company to become one of the largest in the Midwest. Price expanded the company to include pipeline construction and other oil-related services that would prove instrumental to the American military in World War II.
After the war, Price looked to create a new headquarters building and followed the advice of the faculty of the University of Oklahoma’s School of Architecture by hiring Frank Lloyd Wright. Wright designed the building in 1952 and it was completed four years later. The Price Company relocated to Dallas in 1981. In that year the building was acquired by Phillips Petroleum. In the following two decades, several local organizations have worked to create art galleries and host cultural events at the building, which is now recognized as a National Historical Landmark.