Chemung Canal Bank Building (Chemung Valley History Museum)
Placed on the National Register of Historic Places 1978, the Chemung Canal Bank Building has been the home of the Chemung Valley History Museum since 1976. The museum is operated by the Chemung County Historical Society, which was founded in 1923. The museum features exhibits and education programs about the county's history. The building also houses the Booth Library, which contains thousands of books, manuscripts, photographs, and maps and archaeological drawings.
The Chemung Valley History Museum
Backstory and Context
The bank building was constructed by the Chemung Canal Company and it served as a bank until 1920. After that, several law offices occupied the building until the historical association moved in in 1976.