George Washington ordered that the fort be rebuilt in 1794 and it was in operation for 20 years, protecting commercial and military interests in the Ohio Valley. An earthquake destroyed it in 1811 but was later rebuilt for the War of 1812. It was abandoned and settlers dismantled it for building material. The site briefly served as a training camp during the Civil War before it was abandoned once again due an outbreak of measles. The Daughters of the Revolution bought 24 acres around the site in 1903 and helped secure the property as Illinois' first state park. A replica fort dating to 1802 was built in 2002.