Perryopolis Area History Museum
Backstory and Context
The building that now houses the museum has a long and storied history. It first contained one of the earliest banks west of the Allegheny Mountains. However, the bank closed its doors after the Panic of 1819. It has since served as a post office, school, church, restaurant, and doctor's office. It also sat empty for 30 years before being transformed into the Old State Bank Museum. That museum closed in 2009 and the building was then renovated by the Heritage Society.
The new museum now houses almost 1,000 historical artifacts that are arranged into three chronological sections: Early Settlement (1769-1879), Coal and Coke Era (1880-1945), and Post-World War II (1946-present). These artifacts include uniforms from both World Wars, Native American arrowheads, vintage tools, business ledgers and three glass pieces from the Green Glass Company.
However, visitor's favorite artifact seems to be a large, aerial photo of Perryopolis from 1932 that covers the entire back wall of the museum. The Heritage Society plans on opening a children's museum on the building's upper floor in the near future and it hosts various special events during the year, such as its Pioneer Days Celebration.
Hofmann, Mark. "Perryopolis dedicates history museum during bicentennial." Pittsburgh Tribune-Review. June 28, 2014. Accessed December 2, 2016. http://triblive.com/news/fayette/6327076-74/museum-perryopolis-halvonik
Morris, Eric. "Western Pa. town turns 220, gets history museum." The Fulton County News. Accessed December 2, 2016. http://www.fultoncountynews.com/news/2014-07-03/Local_(and)_State/Western_Pa_Town_Turns_200_Gets_His...
National Register of Historic Places Registration Form: Youghiogheny Bank of Pennsylvania. United States Department of the Interior/National Parks Service. Accessed December 2, 2016. http://www.dot7.state.pa.us/CRGIS_Attachments/SiteResource/H098956_01H.pdf