Milton College: The Administration Building
Built in the 1850s, this building was originally constructed as the President's house. It was later converted into the Studio for the students of Fine Arts. When the Daland Fine Arts Center was completed, the building became the home to the offices of the President, Vice-President, Dean of the College, and the Director of Annual Funds.
Backstory and Context
Joseph Goodrich, founder of the Milton House, began a school in Milton, WI in pursuit of a public place for education. Milton Academy was founded in 1844 and was geared toward young men interested in business and both genders interested in teaching in public schools. The old building became unsuitable and to make proper accommodations, the Milton Academy was founded in 1854. The school continued to grow until 1968 when the college was under financial stress due to low enrollment numbers. The college officially closed in 1982 and it’s buildings have since been re-purposed for apartments, offices, shops, and much more.
Milton College Preservation Society