Chapman Branch Library
This Carnegie library in Salt Lake City was named after the city's first librarian in the SLC public library system, and the first female librarian in the system, Anne Chapman.
Backstory and Context
*Any photos that can be found of Anne Chapman should be posted with this entry
The Chapman Branch Library in Salt Lake City, United States, is a Carnegie library that was funded by a $25,000 Carnegie foundation grant and was built in 1918. It was named after Annie E. Chapman, first librarian of the Salt Lake City public library system.
It is an L-shaped building designed in Classical Revival architecture by architect Don Carlos Young Jr., grandson of LDS/Mormon President Brigham Young, who also designed the layout of the University of Utah campus and a number of LDS buildings. At the time of its dedication, a Deseret News account declared it "'the beginning of the greatest social, intellectual and civic development the west side of the city has yet known!'"
*From the Salt Lake City Public Library System:
Considered to be one of the finest Carnegie Libraries in the West, this 8,900 square foot library has two levels. Since its opening in 1918, it has been an important part of city services to Westside residents. The Chapman Branch was completely renovated, including an updated HVAC, following the collapse of the roof during 1993. A major remodel of the basement level meeting space in 2002 resulted in a much improved children's area and expanded service and collection space for adults on the ground level. A small meeting room is available for public use. Street parking is available to the south of the building, and XMission provides free wi-fi access throughout the library.