This local history museum dates back to 1963, when local businessman William J. Layland bequeathed his collection of antiques and artifacts to the city for the establishment of a museum. The museum opened on the second floor of the public library and is now operated by the city. Collection highlights include Native American artifacts and items from some of the earliest settlers of European origin. The museum offers a variety of special exhibits and programs and three permanent galleries- one devoted to Native American history, one to the early settlers from the 1840s to 1900, and one on the history of the 20th century.