Oshkosh Public Museum
Founded in 1924 and located in Oshkosh, Wisconsin on the western side of Lake Winnebago, the Oshkosh Public Museum is the second oldest museum in Wisconsin. A portion of it is housed in the Edgar and Mary Jewell Sawyer House, a historic home that is a part of the Algoma Boulevard Historic District which was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1994. The museum focuses on the cultural and natural history of Oskosh and the Winnebago region. It contains 50,000 photographs and 250,000 artifacts. A notable item is the Apostles clock which is located in the house.
The Oshkosh Public Museum
Interior view of the house
The Apostles Clock
The museum also houses a vintage Harley Davidson motocycle
Backstory and Context
The Sawyer house was constructed in 1908, replacing a previous home that was built in 1872. Mary passed away in 1909 and Edgar did not often stay there in the coming years. He sold the home to the city in 1922.
"About Us," http://www.oshkoshmuseum.org/default.asp?title=About-Us&contentID=22. Retrieved 7-17-15. "Sawyer Home and Grounds," http://www.oshkoshmuseum.org/default.asp?title=Sawyer-Home-and-Grounds&contentID=17. Retrieved 7-17-15.