Boston (Charlestown) Navy Yard
Established in 1800, the Boston Navy Yard, also known as the Charlestown Navy Yard, served the United States Navy until its closing in 1974. Over 200 warships were built and thousands were maintained and repaired at the Boston Navy Yard, which served as “the forefront of shipyard technology, from building the Navy's only ropewalk to making itself a center of missile and electronics conversions” (“Charlestown Navy Yard”). With 175 years of service under its belt, the “Charlestown Navy Yard played an important role in the birth, growth, and continued effectiveness of the U.S. Navy” (“Charlestown Navy Yard”). 30 acres of the Navy Yard is now a part of the Boston National Historical Park and is home to the USS Constitution and the USS Cassin Young, representatives of ships that were built at the Navy Yard.