William Graham Duncan, Sr. built this beautiful 1912 home located at 122 South Cherry Street in Greenville for a mere $10,000. The Spanish Mission style home features white stucco walls, a tiled roof and original woodwork, light fixtures and stained glass windows.
Duncan's grandson, Hamilton Richardson Duncan, graciously donated the house to the city of Greenville in 1986, and it officially opened as a museum in 1989. Muhlenberg County Public Libraries took ownership of the building in 2013 and has continued to operate it as a museum, art gallery and event/program space.
Greenville is privileged to be the home of the Muhlenberg County Public Library’s Thistle Cottage, formerly known as the Duncan Center Museum & Art Gallery. The historic home was built by William Graham Duncan, owner of the Duncan Coal Company, for $10,000 in 1912. It is a beauty to behold, with its Spanish mission style design and red tiled roof. Great detail was given to every aspect of the home, which today is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The home was donated to the city of Greenville in 1986 by Hamilton R. Duncan, Sr., and it officially became the Duncan Center Museum and Art Gallery in 1989. The Duncan House then became Muhlenberg County’s first historical museum and art gallery.In late 2013, the Duncan home was gifted to Muhlenberg County Public Libraries by the city of Greenville. At the same time, in accordance with the ownership transfer agreement, the name was changed as well. Muhlenberg County Public Libraries opted for “Thistle Cottage” as the home's new name. This new name pays homage to the history of the Duncan home, as Mr. William Graham Duncan, Sr., builder of the home, lovingly nicknamed the house “Thistle Cottage” in honor of his home country of Scotland. (The thistle is the national flower of Scotland.) The name Thistle Cottage is still inscribed on one of the columnns located in front of the home.The home features original woodwork, light fixtures and stained glass windows, as well as housing permanent local history exhibits, including several pieces of coal mining-related memorabilia, and rotating art and history exhibits throughout the year.