Saling and Reese Store
201 East Main Street (NE corner of E Main Street and N Franklin St) Historic name: Saling and Reese Store. Common name: Weston Mercantile. Date of construction; circa 1874 (?); 1900-1905. Style: Italianate. Significance: Primary; addition compatible
Saling and Reese Store
Saling and Reese Store
Backstory and Context
This single story building of locally made brick is understood to be the oldest brick building in Weston, having survived the devastating fires of 1874 and 1883. It is rectangular in plan with an approximate frontage of 40 feet on Main Street. The facade is organized into four bays in which openings are recessed in deep reveals and were, historically, protected by iron shutters. The window treatment in these exceptionally tall reveals has been modified considerably, but the brick piers dividing the bays are intact.
Segmental relieving arches articulate the spandrels above the window reveals. The upper wall is articulated with a denticulated string course and a tall parapet with inset panels of brick and a shallow stepped crest over the two central bays. The Franklin Street facade is similarly detailed in the front six or eight feet. The rest of the wall is unadorned and pierced by three small window openings. Between 1900 and 1905 a single-story frame addition with an approximate frontage of 100 feet on Main Street was constructed on the east side. Because of the extensive alteration of the facade of the single story addition, it is separately classified for tax purposes, as compatible even though it dates from the secondary period of development in the district. (The above text is taken from the original application the have the Weston Historic Commercial District created.
We now know the addition was created after 1919, because when the Weston Opera House ( now the Memorial Hall) was moved to its current location, it was moved through the area where the addition was built.
This building has contained many businesses though the years, though most, if not all, were grocery stores or hardware stores, or a combination of both. This time, though, it is a Cafe and Saloon and has built a reputation far and wide. It is not uncommon to see a group of folks arrive in their antique cars, or a group of motorcyclists out for a ride from the Tri-Cities, or anyone who would like a good meal, especially breakfast.
Below is an article about Weston history that is in every menu at the Long Branch:
THANKS FOR COMING TO THE LONG BRANCH CAFE & SALOON 201 E Main Weston, Oregon 1-541-566-3478
Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner all day Mon thru Sat 6am to 8pm Sunday 7am to 2pm
The cafe is in the oldest building in Weston, believed to have been built around 1874. It was originally a mercantile owned by Saling and Reese, buying and selling to the local people everything that was needed to homestead in the new community.
In 1902, Weston had 800 people, 5 churches, 4 saloons, 6 mercantiles, a school, city hall, bank, post office, newspaper, drug store, livery stable, blacksmith, realtor, doctor, an architect and a millinery parlor. There were 2 hotels, a planing mill, flouring mill, brick yard and a train depot. The streets were lined with trees, with a fountain situated in the middle of town.
The fountain sat in the middle of Main Street, at the intersection of Main and Franklin Street. The cherub was fed from pure mountain spring water. Main Street was also the State Highway, bringing traffic to and from the mountains, Pendleton, and the surrounding areas. In the late 1940's, the state decided to remove the fountain and the landmark was lost to the people of the area.
In 1962, John Cole and his son Bill, were fishing at McKay Lake located out of Pendleton, when they discovered the cherub and dolphin. Remembering the fountain, John contacted Mayor Hugh Gilliland. Mayor Gilliland formed a committee to restore the fountain and return it to Main Street. But, alas, the fountain was vandalized by local youths. The citizens of Weston rallied around again, and restored the fountain one more time. The fountain now stands in a mini park on the corner of Main and Water Street. The water flows through the landmark during the summer months and history is renewed.
Weston City Hall and Weston Public Library have pictures, ledgers and many interesting articles about Weston's history. You may be able to find your ancestors. The Long Branch shelves contain many new and old collectibles, some are reproductions, some have been donated by the pioneers of the valley. They are for viewing only. Today, Weston has a population of approximately 700 people. Much of the original deeded land is still being operated by the Pioneer's descendants. Farm land is a valuable asset to the community, as Smith Frozen Foods and Conagra are the main industries of the area. The City of Weston and the Weston Community Development Committee, are working together to line the streets with trees, street lights, and mini parks. 4-14-07
Information from the Historic Commercial District National Register for Historic Places nomination documentation. Additional research by Bob Gilliland of Weston, Oregon.