Carver Memorial Hospital
Opening in 1947, the Carver Memorial Hospital was the first municipally-owned, tax-supported hospital for African-Americans in America. The hospital took it's name from George Washington Carver in recognition of his contribution to science. The hospital initially opened its doors because of the contributions from local attorney M.B. Finkelstein and a call from The Chattanooga Times asking readers to make donations. Carver closed its doors in 1962. The original building was taken down to make room for new construction in the 1980s. A roadside marker about the hospital stands on the grounds of the now demolished hospital building.
Backstory and Context
Use of the building was donated by M.B Finkelstein, a local attorney. When it became clear that he intended the building to be used as a "colored only" hospital, The Chattanooga Times wrote articles imploring their readers to donate whatever they could to the fund. During the 1945 renovation of the building, hospital officials held open houses to allow the public to see where their donations went.
The Carver Memorial Hospital was closed in 1962. The building no longer exists. The marker is located between the two-way traffic lanes, but easily accessible.