Searcy House, 1904-2014
Until 2014, this ornate two-story mansion was the only surviving home in what was once a thriving residential area of Tuscaloosa. This grand home was built in 1904 by banker George Searcy. The home was later purchased by the Tuscaloosa County Commission in 1925 and later purchased by the Board of Education in 1968 for use as its headquarters. The Board of Education decided to sell the property, its deteriorating condition leading the Alabama Trust for Historic Preservation to place the property on its list of endangered historic sites.
Backstory and Context