Mt. Pleasant School
Backstory and Context
During the 1880s, Berkeley County Board of Education and the town of Gerrardstown had 10 white schools and one colored school. Within a decade, a second colored school was deemed necessary. So in 1897, a single story building was constructed to act as both a school and church for the local African-American children.
As consolidation of schools in the early 1900s swept the area, Mt. Pleasant was sparred. However, the school would close in 1939 and be turned into a fully functional church.
There is so little preserved about the history of Mt. Pleasant from 1897-1939, that more research/information is sorely needed.