The Lynchburg Museum seeks to collect and preserve information from the Lynchburg area. The Main Courtroom Gallery features Lynchburg history from 1607 until today. The Museum hold a private archive of over 20,000 objects and 10,000 photographs. There are also frequently rotating exhibits of photographs and artifacts throughout the year. The Museum is located inside the Lynchburg Courthouse, a Greek Revival style building built in 1855.
Backstory and Context
The Museum also houses several other exhibitions and collections. The Dunbar Collection is an expansive look at Dunbar High School, a school for African Americans. The Piedmont Pride Gallery explores the lives of soldiers from Lynchburg, and the Museum has also worked to digitize some of their 10,000 photographs for the Lynchburg photograph website.
The building that the Museum is located in is the Lynchburg Courthouse. Built in the Greek Revival Style, the building features a shallow dome. On the portico is a clock that was shipped from Boston in 1833 and continues to function today. In 1884, the courthouse became the first building in the city of Lynchburg to use electrical lighting. The Lynchburg Courthouse was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1972.