Throughout the early 1900s, the building was moved multiple times. This resulted in a loss of original building material, and some excessive wear. However, Cahokia residents petitioned for the return of their building, which was granted to them in the 1920s. The building was placed back on it's original location, where it remains to this day. In the 1970s, the building was listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Today the site is open to the public. Guided and self guided tours are available for the four room building. Internal exhibits demonstrate the journey the building took, and the changes within the local environment and culture.
The courthouse property facilitates a small complex of nationally registered historic sites. The property also contains the Jarrot Mansion, built 1807. The Jarrot Mansion is closed to the public, but also maintains historical relevance, as the original owner of the home, Nicholas Jarrot, was a judge who served at the courthouse.