The Fish Creek Covered Bridge was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1981. It is the last remaining covered brigde in Wetzel County and only one of two remaining single kingpost truss bridges in West Virginia. The bridge is owned by the West Virginia Department of Highways and is still in operation.
The Fish Creek Covered Bridge is
located in Wetzel County, WV on secondary Rt. 13 near the junction of U.S.
Route 250 crossing Fish Creek. It is
listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The bridge can be found in the vicinity of
Hundred, WV. It is classified as a
public, unrestricted, transportation structure.
The bridge is property of the West Virginia Division of Highways.
On July 27, 1881 a committee was
appointed by the Wetzel County Court for letting out a contract for a bridge to
be built across Fish Creek. The bridge
is believed to have been built in 1881 or shortly thereafter. Wetzel County was originally home to several
covered bridges, but to date only the Fish Creek Covered Bridge remains. It is one of two covered bridges remaining in
West Virginia that has the single kingpost truss design.
The National Register of Historic Places Inventory-Nomination Form has the
bridge listed as being in fair condition with alterations. The dimensions of the bridge are 12 feet-10
inches wide and 36 feet in length. The
bridge is constructed of wooden siding painted barn red. There is a galvanized metal roof that covers
the entire structure. Modern
reinforcements have been added to support the deck, which originally rested
on wooden stringers.