Maplewood Farm, also known as the Sebrell-McCausland Farm, is located in Pliny, West Virginia.
John Sebrell owned 575 acres of land and had slaves that
worked the property (and are quite possibly buried there, as well). His brick home
that no longer exists once stood onthe site of where the current farm house. John P. Sebrell,
John Sebrell’s nephew, received the farm after his uncle’s death. John P.
Sebrell utilized the first house’s foundation and constructed another house in
1870. After his death, John P. Sebrell’s widow successfully sold the farm, but
ended up getting it back after the owners could not pay for the house. She
asked her neighbor, General John McCausland, to buy her late husband’s farm.
McCausland did buy the farm in three increments over a three year period. McCausland
ended up creating his own drainage system so that the swampy land could be used
for agriculture. The Sebrell-McCausland
farm, Grape Hill, and another farm were the first in the area to have drainage tiles.1
The farm changed hands in 1900, as John McCausland passed the
farm down to his son Samuel. The name was changed to Maplewood by Samuel’s wife
Amanda. Samuel made the farm even bigger by buying surrounding farms. The farm
over the years has had mules, cattle, sheep, orchards, and bee hives. Samuel
like his father passed the farm down to his sons, with each son getting a third
of the property1.
The McCausland Farm has many standing structures, including: Main
House, Coal House, Chicken House, Well house, Schoolhouse/Storage Shed,
Blacksmith Shop, Metal Corn Crib, Machine Shed, Main Barn, Hog Barn, Concrete
silo, Sebrell-McCausland Cemetery, Jenny Lind House, Modern House (James
McCausland), Modern House (McDermitt), House (Andrew McCausland), Hog House, shed,
metal silos, Cooper Cemetery, Machine Shed, and Slave Cemetery1.
The Main House is two stories and built in the Italianate
architectural style. The Sebrell-McCausland Cemetery includes the Sebrell family,
Morris family, Damewood family. The Cooper Cemetery has 12 graves of the Cooper
family, with two graves having the name Hudson (probably a relation to the
Coopers). The Slave Cemetery has six graves and is thought to be associated
with the Sebrell family1.
The farm today is owned by George and Andrew, Samuel’s sons,
and Kyle McCausland, a cousin.