Old St. Vincent's Church
Built in 1853, Old St. Vincent's Church is located in Cape Girardeau, Missouri. It was designed by Irish-born architect Thomas Waryng Walsh in the Greek Revival style and resembles churches built in Ireland and England at the time. The church is a religious cultural center and a small museum is located in the back of the building. Masses are held every Sunday at 10am. It was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1982.
Backstory and Context
The story of Old St. Vincent's began in 1825 when Vincentian priest John Timon was sent to serve in the Cape Girardeau and Perry Counties. After several years of traveling on horseback around the counties ministering to Catholics, he urged the bishop to establish a congregation. He celebrated the first mass in a warehouse in 1833. Over time the congregation grew which prompted the construction of Old St. Vincents in 1853. A new church was built in 1976 and St. Vincent's was under threat of demolition. However, a group of concerned citizens led efforts to save the church and it was declared a religious cultural center in 1977.
"About Old St. Vincent's Church." http://www.oldstvincents.org/About-Old-St.-Vincent-Church. Retrieved 4-22-15.