This affiliate of the Smithsonian Institution dates back to 1916 when the Eastern Washington State Historical Society was established. The organization, and its collections, have grown steadily over the past century and the museum now offers a permanent collection of over one million items comprised of artifacts, works of art, memorabilia, and other objects ranging from pieces that represent early Native American cultures, Europe, Asia, and current regional artists. The museum also offers programs that connect residents to local history and culture, including various Native American art and culture. The museum also includes exhibits from around the globe and owns and operates the Campbell House, a historic home built by mine owner Amasa B. Campbell in 1898. This home was acquired by the Eastern Washington State Historical Society in 1925. As the caretaker of the home, the organization offers tours that allow visitors to see the home's historic furnishings.