Designed by architect Edvard Moeller, this five-sided Neoclassical bank was completed in 1914. The interior features a mural painted by artist Louis Grell (1887-1860), whose paintings can be seen in many other historical buildings around the country. The building served as the headquarters of the Bank of Gowanda for many years before becoming the home of Marine Midland Bank. In 1966, the building began its new life as a civic building and city hall when Marine Midland donated it to the city. It was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 2001.
The Gowanda Historical Society was located on the second floor for many years until it moved to its current location on Chestnut Street.