The McCallum Adobe is the oldest building in Palm Springs and is currently home to a small museum that is operated by the Palm Springs Historical Society Museum. This adobe home was built in 1884 for John McCallum, the first permanent settler of European origin. The home was preserved and relocated to this location and now holds an extensive collection of photographs, artifacts, paintings, and clothing that date back to the 19th century to the heyday of Palm Springs growth. Of special interest to researchers is the society's extensive library. Knowledgeable and personable curators are always on hand to answer questions and assist those using the library.
A 24 minute film on the history of Palm Springs runs continuously.