Large room: Life at the Academy
The Sisters navigated cholera and yellow fever outbreaks, natural disasters, fires, and the economic hardships of Reconstruction. All the while, life at the Academy of the Sacred Heart continued. Boarders and day students came and went, young women joined the order, and additional foundations were established around the country. In 1875, the Religious began a school for African American girls on the grounds. They opened with 16 pupils. Eventually, they were able to build a new school in town which was named the Free School for Black Girls and Boys (and would later become St. Peter Claver's School). In addition to this, in 1890 the Sisters began the Sacred Heart Parochial School, now St. Ignatius.