Clio Logo
Situated on a hill overlooking the surrounding neighborhood, the Granite County Courthouse has served as the seat of county government since 1913. It is an excellent example of Neoclassical architecture, featuring a granite and buff-colored brick exterior, two large columns on the southern facade and an arched main entrance. It is across the street from the historic Granite County Jail, which has its own Clio entry.

  • The Granite County Courthouse was built in 1913 and is a good example of Neoclassical architecture.

Prominent Montana architects John Link and Charles Haire, who operated one of the more prolific architecture firms in the state, designed the courthouse (and more than 1,000 buildings in the Northwest, including many other courthouses and the wings of the Montana state capitol building). The courthouse was built on the northwest corner of the original townsite, where the town's first school was located (this spot is known as "School Hill"). Courthouse offices were first housed in a building on Broadway Street erected in 1887. The current courthouse was the first purpose-built location for the county government. It is a contributing property of the Philipsburg Historic District, which was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1986

"Granite County Courthouse." The Historical Marker Database. Accessed June 11, 2020.

Koop, Michael. "Historic Resources of Philipsburg, Montana." National Park Service - National Register of Historic Places Nomination Form. September 30, 1986.

Image Sources(Click to expand)

The Historical Marker Database