The Kaiser Hotel has been a fixture on Broadway Street since its construction in 1881.
Backstory and Context
The Kaiser House was a popular hotel for many years after it opened. It was so well known that it was on par with the best hotels in Helena. The Kaiser had an ornate bar, a restaurant on the first floor, and a billiard and gambling room in the basement. Many patrons enjoyed gambling and John Kaiser (presumably Michael's brother) would sometimes stay awake for several days in a row to deal poker games. Guests also liked the 50-cent steaks the restaurant served. The hotel eventually closed and the building was used for a variety of purposes including as a Redmen's Hall (a fraternal organization) and, in the 1950s, a Veterans of Foreign Wars facility. It was renovated to become a hotel once again and also includes a wine and cheese cellar.
"Kaiser House." The Historical Marker Database. Accessed June 10, 2020. https://www.hmdb.org/m.asp?m=45218.
Koop, Michael."Philipsburg Historic District." National Park Service - National Register of Historic Places Nomination Form. September 30, 1986. https://npgallery.nps.gov/NRHP/GetAsset/NRHP/64000437_text.
The Historical Marker Database