Bell Laboratories Building
The building in 1936. In the 1960s it became home to the Westbeth Artists Community, which provides affordable housing and work space for low/mid-income artists.
The thirteen-story structure served as the headquarters for both Bell Telephone Laboratories from 1898-1966 and the Bell Telephone Company from 1925 through the early 1960s.
Backstory and Context
In 1970, the building complex was renovated to become the Wesbeth Artists Community, a complex dedicated to providing artists and artistic groups in New York City with affordable housing, as well as space for work and performance. Though it had been converted into the Artists Community by this point, the building was added to the National Register of Historic Places and designated as a National Historic Landmark on May 15th, 1975. The Westbeth Artists Community still hosts artists and art groups today, but it is no longer taking applications for its residential waiting list.