Caleb Pusey House
Backstory and Context
“Landingford” was the name Pusey gave to the 100 acre farm adjoining the mill site deeded to him by Penn which he cultivated to raise food for his large family.
Pusey and his family came to Pennsylvania in 1682 along with Penn on the ship "Welcome" to serve as manager and agent for the Chester Mills, the first official proprietary saw and grist mill to be established by Penn in the colony.
The Friends of the Caleb Pusey house, Inc. was organized in 1960 to undertake restoration of the house and property which by that time had deteriorated to a point of imminent collapse. The group secured the support of the Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission in the project and obtained matching funds from the Commonwealth.
Today this organization continues to maintain the house, which is authentically furnished with pieces from the early colonial period and is listed on the national Register of historical Places. The organization also offers frequent programs and activities of historic interest, which are open to the public and operates a museum and gift shop for visitors to the site.
The Landingford Plantation also includes the 1847 Crozer Schoolhouse and the Pennock Log House.
Peden, Ray. Caleb Pusey House and Landingford Plantation. Accessed April 27th 2020. https://www.calebpuseyhouse.com/.